My wife and I are always on the lookout for good television programs for our children to watch, and actually finding these is not always easy! There are plenty of cartoons and children’s shows to choose from, but not all of them capture the imagination of our 7-year-old and our 2-year old. On top of that, some of the children’s shows feature kids who lie to their parents and play terrible tricks on each other, and still end up as the heroes of the story!
We were thrilled, however, when Netflix came out with a new Netflix Original Series on November 26 of this year. Based on the lovable characters from the VeggieTales movies, VeggieTales: In the House is a fun children’s program that will make your kids smile and teach them a wonderful lesson in the process.
Here are a few pros and cons:
The Bad News
- This isn’t your standard VeggieTales The theme song is totally different, and many of the characters have been given an interesting “makeover.” The kids didn’t seem to mind too much, though, so we decided we could make the adjustment.
- Each episode is very short, which doesn’t leave much time for the biblical lesson. The moral of the story might feel a little rushed at times.
- This series is only available on Netflix, so you have to get a subscription to this service in order to view this particular program.
The Good News
- Every single episode includes a strong moral lesson, and almost always incorporates a Bible verse! This is my favorite part of the series… it’s another fun way to keep your children steeped in Scripture during their most formative years.
- The “VeggieTales magic spell” that parents have come to appreciate over the years still holds true with this series. The bright colors, hilarious voiceovers, and clever storylines keep both our kids spellbound from the moment the theme song begins until the final credits start rolling.
- And yes… this is one cartoon that even parents will catch themselves smiling at! The quirky dialogue and funny vegetable puns make this so much less painful to watch then some of those other kid shows out there (you know, the ones that make you want to bash your head against the pantry when you hear that theme song… again…)
If you’re a parent of small children and have a Netflix subscription, this is one program you’ll want to add to your queue!
“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.”