Blogging awards come in all shapes and sizes, but I’m particularly proud of this one! As a Christian blogger, I had to come to grips with the question, “What topics can I post about and still be considered a faithful writer?” But my answer to that question is, “anything and everything!”
In fact, Paul advises Christians to be versatile in the way they deal with people. In I Corinthians 9:22 he says, “I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.” I could post nothing but classic devotional thoughts each day, and while I certainly do want my blog to encourage my fellow Christians, I also want all sorts of people to find something interesting to read here so I can engage them in meaningful conversation. Our Christian faith permeates each area of our lives, so why can’t our writing reflect this fact by doing the same?
So I’m excited to be named a Versatile Blogger today! First, I want to thank Diana at Part-Time Monster for nominating me for the award. Diana is a mother and Ph.D. student who offers intelligent posts about everything from parenthood, writing, literature, and even Tolkien. You might want to check out her blog!
Rules for Accepting This Award:
- Display the award on your blog
- Announce your win with a post and thank the blogger who nominated you.
- Present 10-15 deserving bloggers with the award.
- Link your nominees in the post and let them know of their nomination with a comment.
- Post seven things about yourself.
My Nominations for Versatile Bloggers:
- April Pilgrim, at The Schmiddle Ages: http://theschmiddleages.wordpress.com/
- Meredith, at Meredith’s Musings: http://meredithlbl.com/
- Vanessa Foster, at Unguarded Moments: http://vgfoster.com/
- Abby J. Reed, at http://abbyjreed.com/
- Rachel Carrera, at Rachel Carrera: Novelist: http://rachelcarrera.wordpress.com/
- Rhonda, at Round About Rhonda: http://roundaboutrhonda.wordpress.com/
- The Obscured Dreamer: http://obscureddreamer.wordpress.com/
- Drew Llew, at Drew Llew’s Views: http://drewllew.com/
- Margaret, at Margaret’s Blog: http://margaretbenison.com/
- Jemverse: http://jemverse.wordpress.com/
Seven Fun Facts About Myself:
- I’m a Texan, born and raised. And yes, though I can write with good grammar, while having conversation I do say “ya’ll”… I just can’t help it – it’s in my blood! (Somewhere out there an English teacher just rolled over in their grave – HA!)
- While growing up I had a multitude of pets, including four dogs, a parakeet, and countless fish (most of which ended up taking the “final plunge” in a toilet funeral). I really loved my pets, I just couldn’t seem to keep them!
- I detest the taste of coffee, but absolutely adore hot tea. If you and I were sitting in a coffee shop, I’d be sipping Earl Grey.
- As I started college as a freshman, they told me the only campus job available was a Security Guard. I marched over to the Library, held up my scrawny arms, and cried, “Do I look like a Security Guard to you?” The supervisor laughed so hard that she ended up giving me a job as the Library’s Evening Supervisor!
- I started piano lessons when I was seven, and had one teacher tell me that I didn’t practice enough and was wasting her time. But I must have learned something, because giving piano lessons got me through college, playing the piano earned me a music scholarship, I ended up working as a choral director and accompanist for a school district, and I now play the piano every Sunday at church! (Eat your words, Former Piano Teacher!)
- I’ve always had an entrepreneurial mind. When we were young, my brother and sister would ask me to make homemade cards for them to give to our mom, since they liked mine better. So they paid me their allowance, my mom ended up with three cards from the same person, and I ended up running a little business from my desk!
- When I was a kid, my brother and I used to jump out of bed at 5:00 a.m. every morning so we could watch a cartoon called Conan the Barbarian. Strangely enough, I still wake up at 5:00 a.m. every morning, but now I’m not nearly as excited about it.
22 thoughts on “On Being a Versatile and Faithful Writer…”
I loved learning more about you. This has me smiling ear to ear. Well done and thanks!! 🙂
Thanks for that! Have a good one!
Congratulations (smile) Blessings!!
You are most welcome!
Congrats!! Cool post:)
Thanks! Have a good one!
Thanks – I appreciate it!
Congratulations!! Love your 7 things about yourself!! So funny!! My oldest son watched Conan the Barbarian too!!
Ha! It was a pretty good cartoon back in the day! 🙂
Congratulations on your award. I liked learning more about you. I’m glad you write about anything, as Paul suggests. That’s what I like about your blog.
Thanks! It’s always fun to explore the variety of blogs out there!
🙂 I’m a Southern girl and an English teacher, and I say “y’all.” I say all sorts of “incorrect” things. lol
Also, I meant to say that this is a really neat take on the award–cool post!
Thanks! It’s a fun challenge to try and do something creative, even with the posts that have so many rules attached (must be the classical musician in me!)…
You must be a fun English teacher then – I bet your students love you!
Thank you for the nomination! I enjoyed reading the interesting facts about you 🙂
You’re welcome, April – I enjoy reading your posts!
Congratulations! Love the fun facts about you! God bless!
Thanks – I appreciate that!